Thursday, May 24, 2007

On Spider Man 3

For those of you who don’t know I am a HUGE comic book nut. I grew up on Spider Man. I remember when the Black Suit was a gift from a God-Like being known as “The Beyonder,” in the Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars limited series of the mid 1980’s. I owned “Web of Spider-Man” #1 where Peter uses the Bell tower to fight off the alien Symbiote. I had it all. When Venom was “bad” and then, when he became...”good.” sort of.

As a fan that loved the first two films, all I can say is...
Spider Man 3 was one of the worst movies ever made for this audience.

Fans wanted to see Venom, but I would rather have had a good solid story then a bunch of CGI effects. I mean we have seen Dr. Curt Connors in all three movies, but we never saw the Lizard. Eddie Brock could have been present without having to force Venom into the picture.


The ending was predictable—teaming up with the Goblin to defeat the Sandman and Venom, and the film cheesy (the Scenes of Peter Parker strutting down the streets of New York with bad hair and swagger to the 70’s disco sound). The only real redeeming part was Thomas Hayden Church as the Sandman. His look was fantastic, the part could not have been cast better, and given the angle of his sick child... it made him touching, and well rounded.
That being said, we ended the movie with him still at large free to do as he would (at least I assume so, I left before the movie was over). The scenes of Church’s Sandman were generally rehashed sequences from “The Mummy” and “The Mummy Returns.” And what is it about becoming a megalith of angry humanoid sand makes villains lose their ability to speak? As soon as Church turns into the Sandman, his intelligent speech is reduced to unintelligible moans, groans, and roars. How cliché.



If you are a Spider Fan, you will not be pleased. No matter how cool Venom looks, there just wasn’t enough story to keep this franchise alive. I am glad to hear neither McGuire nor Raimi have any intentions of doing more.

Thank God. I don’t know if I could stand another scene of Kristen Dunst singing.

No comments: