Friday, June 29, 2007

On Painting: Successful and Unsuccessful

As I have mentioned painting is not my strongest suit.
Here is a painting I did for my wife for the Christmas following Marissa's passing.



















Possibly the most successful part of this picture is the area around her mouth. The light has been reflected accurately I think, and makes for a "real" look.






I am not satisfied so much with the eyes.

Marissa's eyes were in fact impossibly blue, but something around this seems terribly artificial. Perhaps it is the black of the eyelashes?

Overall I am very happy with this piece. More coming.

3 comments:

Wanji Sunim said...

Craig, I really like this piece...You are truly a very talented artist.

--josh

Crystal said...

The eyes are perfect, but you need "life dots"... those little white dots in the eyes that are the reflection of the light. They make the eyes look alive.

The pictures is beautiful. I'm from Maurice Broaddus's message board. Your post there was beautiful as well.

At Home with Ernie and Bert said...

Thanks Crystal.
Please be sure to see her memorial post I made on June 11th.