Friday, May 18, 2007

On Buddhism: The Reluctant Tutor...

Hello friends,
There has been a group of wonderful people. Some I know in the community, some from my job who have asked me from time to time to explain this or that about Buddhism. In the past I have been far from eager to anser these things for fear of explaining something incorrectly. It isnt that I havent lectured or taught before. I did a series of lectures in college, some were even attended by members of the Philosophy department, and I was only corrected once. But still, my practice having suffered over the years and through my loss has made me more reluctant to speak when asked.

Lately however, a dear friend of mine asked me to explain a few tings to him in an email. His questions reminded me of where it is that I am in my life, and where I want to be--and how very different those two places are sometimes. This, coupled with the fact that during a time I needed to process my grief, my own teacher smiled and told me that one day I would be a "great teacher" myself, has encouraged me to speak a little more on the subject. This entry will open the floor for discussion on my insights into the practice of Zen Buddhism. Please enter your comments and I will address them as I am able.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as buddhism goes I dont really know anything, but I want to learn more. Can you give me an idea of what its about?

Thanks,

Dustin